Living the Five - Saved People Serve People

Pathway Points

Stepping Up for Jesus

This past Sunday, we heard the third installment in the series Living the Five, Saved People Serve People. I walked into this one rather smug (I know, not a very Christian attitude). I grew up in the church and I’m of the generation where community service started becoming a requirement for graduation. Serving is a default for me. Then, Pastor Jeff started preaching and I was convicted.

It turns out, there’s another “as I have done for you” statement from Jesus regarding service. (See verse 15: John 13:1-17 NIV - Jesus Washes His Disciples’ Feet.) Jesus performed a task that was dirty, below his station, along with whatever other negative you can come up with. So far so good, I’ve swept floors, washed dishes, changed dirty diapers. The stickler? It’s not what he did, it’s how he did it.

Jesus approached everything and everyone out of a posture of love. He didn’t grumble or complain. He didn’t avoid people because he knew they were “using him.” He gave freely and wisely right up until his death. Ouch! Time for another self-evaluation. Am I doing things because “I have to” or because “Pastor asked”? Or, am I seeing a need and responding out of love because Jesus did, and I’m supposed to be modeling my life after him?

Stepping up with you in His strength!

Monica Lebsack

Creative Ministries Director

At Grace, one of my responsibilities is to publish a weekly article in our e-newsletter, GraceNotes, about discipleship. Specifically, about the various components of our Discipleship Pathway and how a person could journey along it. This is my most recent article.