Longest Night Praise

Pathway Points

Stepping Up for Jesus

Tonight is a night that, up until a couple of years ago, didn’t mean anything to me. Sure, I’ve known since high school about the winter solstice being the longest night of the year. As a mom of youngsters, I always look forward to January because the shorter nights mean my kids (and I by default) aren’t waiting for the bus in the dark each morning. However, as my family has battled with mental illness, mine and that of some of my kiddos, the longer nights have become difficult to maneuver through.

A couple of years ago, I learned about a worship service that some churches offer called a “Longest Night” or “Blue Christmas” service. I’ve never been able to attend one, so I can’t tell you what happens at one or even which churches in our area host one, but the thought behind the service got me thinking. In all the hustle and hub-bub of the holidays, we’re expecting happiness and joy, but for some of us, survival and no tears maybe the best we can do.

First, I want to affirm that if that is you, you are not alone, and this too shall pass. Remember, our savior is “the light [that] shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.” (John 1:5) Second, one of the things I’ve learned through all the counselling that I’ve been through over the years is reframing. It’s taking negative thoughts captive and restating the positive truths related to them. On this longest night, I encourage you to be preemptive. Before the negative thoughts even begin to roll in, praise God! In her article, Through the Gates of Praise, Sheila Walsh says this,

There will be times when praising God is the last thing you feel like doing, but give it a try anyway. Start with a whisper if that’s all you can manage. Read a psalm aloud if you can’t find any words of your own.

However small the offering seems — and even if it’s mixed with tears — enter His courts with praise.

Praise is a pathway into the presence of God.

Stepping up with you in His strength!

Monica Lebsack

Creative Ministries Director

At Grace, one of my responsibilities is to publish a weekly article in our e-newsletter, GraceNotes, about discipleship. Specifically, about the various components of our Discipleship Pathway and how a person could journey along it. This is my most recent article.